AN INTERACTIVE APPROACH
SUITABLE FOR AGE 8-11 YEARS
Skills -Soundscape, Mime, Improvisation, Written Work, Puppet Making, Story Telling, Discussion, Narration, Hot Seating, Debating, Interviews.
A comprehensive Series of 5 lessons (which will be more in real terms) bringing your rainforest Topic to life through practical activites for development into Literacy and other curricular areas.
1. Visualisation of the Rainforest, Rainforest Soundscapes, Evolution Game.
2. Descriptive Story developed from soundscapes with Teacher's Narrative Script with suggestions for enhancing accompanying sounds. Group Work presentation and feedback.
1. Life Cycle Of The Rainforest - From Seeds To Plants - Teacher narrates from short scripted piece for Movement and Mime.
2. Animal and Plant Shapes - Configuration Mime - Becoming rainforest animals - working in two groups on movement and sound effects.
3. Food Chain - Animal and Plant Shapes -Teacher narrates a section for the movement piece. Background music direct links.
Puppet/Shadow Puppet Show - A Day In The Rainforest - Examples given on how to set it up, use of wordbank. Images showing examples as below:
1. Human Activity In The Rainforest – Logging, Farming, building- Discussion, becoming rainforest workers.
2. Mime or Voice Overs/Recordings – Speaking as the loggers, Listening, Improvisation, Discussion about how the trees will be used by humans.
3. Human Effect On The Rain Forest - Imagining / Visualisation - Speaking as animal or plant characters.
4.Telling Their Animal Stories – From the animal viewpoints, Storytelling, Reporting/Interviews.
5. Written Development- newspaper accounts, stories, poems, visual art ideas
1.Logger V’s Rainforest Resident - Discussion about how the rainforest is threatened and what can be done.
1.Hot Seating Exercises- Taking the roles of developers and animals.
2. Discussion and Debate - Listing Rules of The Rainforest.
3. Rainforest Raps
Direct Links To Music and sound effect suggestions and other useful website links throughout.
PREVIEW LESSON BELOW
Curriculum For Excellence
I can create, adapt and sustain different roles, experimenting with movement, expression and voice and using theatre arts technology. EXA 2-12a
(I have experienced the energy and excitement of presenting/performing for audiences and being part of an audience for other people’s presentations/performances. EXA 0-01a / EXA 1-01a / EXA 2-01a)
I can discuss the environmental impact of human activity and suggest ways in which we can live in a more environmentally-responsible way. SOC 2-08a
I can consider the advantages and disadvantages of a proposed land use development and discuss the impact this may have on the community. SOC 2-08b