This Lesson series is based on George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl and can be done in a classroom setting.
There are 7 practical activities with Literacy tasks inserted throughout. The activities could be divided up into 3 lessons as follows:
1. Warm-Up - Becoming Grandmas
2. Grandma and George - Making funny asides - Paired Activity
3. George Gets Scared of Grandma - Characterisation - Dialogue
Into Literacy - List Making In Pairs; Character Sketches; Scary Secrets; Presentations by torchlight!
4. Making A Medicine - Paired Activity - Improvisation - Creating new ideas
Into Literacy - Recipes, Drawing and Labelling
5. Parent Reactions - Small Group Improvisations Presenting Scenes
6. Creating Marvellous Medicines - Group Work - Inventing magical medicines, using rhymes, guessing medicine effects.
Into Literacy - Rhymes; Newsflashes
7. Antidotes - Group Work
Into Literacy - Diary Entries
We find that the writing quality is far superior after practical activity.
We recommend that you allow children to share their written work with a partner or to the class as this adds VALUE to their work.
We also recommend that you use music alongside activities and to back reading out of written work. A great free music website with our track suggestions is detailed in the lesson plans.
This lesson is DOWNLOADABLE and you will get the link to it in the email after purchase.
Download the lessons to your computer.
CLICK BELOW FOR THE TASTER LESSON